quinta-feira, 24 de maio de 2007

21 - 22 - 23 MAY - Rollercoaster ride

Post operative contemplative Leon

23rd MAY

Leon was extubated this morning and is doing better. It is my birthday present.
He is on TPN( total parenteral nutrition) and it means NPO( Non per Os in latin or nothing by mouth in english).
He had a blood transfusion, is taking 2 different tipes of antibiotics and is on C-PAP. His stomach is dilated but doctors said it is soft and there are some bowel movements.
He has some bile coming out of his NGT ( nasogastric tube).
Please pray for my lil´ boy.
God bless him!

22nd MAY

Today we woke up with a phone call from the NICU. The doctor in charge called his intestines stick out again during the night and it was turning bluish, therefore he has to have a surgery today. So we should go there to sign all the authorizations for the surgery.
We got there and he was stable and all was fine. The chief doctor spoke to a surgeon who said they should try to put it back in. This time it wasn´t like on mother´s day. It was much worse. I don´t want to go into details, I cannot picture or remember him crying with pain- It makes me sick.
The surgeon came and said she wanted to see how he would react to the procedure before taking him to a surgery.
He didn´t have strenght to breath or cry. He was totally limp, pale-grey and cold in the bed.
I WAS NEVER SO AFRAID.
Around 6 P.M the doctor decided to call a surgeon, intubate him, place a central line catheter and prepare for an emergency surgery within 2 hours.
They started at 8 P.M and around 10 P.M he was back in the NICU.
They reconstructed the stoma he had, and removed a portion of intestine that has been perfurated during the "sticking back" procedure.
He will continue intubated and put under sedation for the night.
God bless him.

21st MAY

From today on I will stay in the hospital during the day. I have a bed in the parents dormitory to feel more confortable there. So when Leon wakes up and show he is hungry I can try and breastfeed him.

I got there and was ready put him on my arms because he was hungry and awake. I put him on the scale first and then he latch on mommy´s breast for half an hour. After that, we put him back on the scale. He drinked 15 ml! That was something I didn´t expect.
He actually wanted more, but the nurse said it was enough.
I put him back on his bed and gavaged him the left over milk.
We are so happy together!

God bless him!

Nenhum comentário: